Thursday, April 17, 2014

Of carrots and germination

Confession time: I'm awful at growing carrots.
Not that the carrots I grow are bad, mind you. They tend to be well shaped and super tasty. The problem is that by the time they are ready for harvest, less than 5% of the seeds planted have made it to maturity.
For a plant that requires only 4-9 square inches for itself, harvesting only a handful from a 25 square foot bed is really sad.

The two major problems seem to be poor germination, and very slow growing plants that are highly susceptible to pests. A single hungry slug can wipe out dozens of carrot seedlings, and my carrots seem to stay in seedling stage for ages, just asking to be eaten.

I aim to solve these issues this year, I want my plot full of carrots! That means it is time for experiments...

Germination Tests:
It seems I can't do much about slow growth until I have something growing to experiment on. So first, we shall turn our attention to germination. Using three different sprouting methods, I planted approximately 120 seeds each, and we will see if any of them are effective in getting a good stand of healthy plants started.

Sowing in the Dirt:
The seemingly most obvious method for starting seed is to sow them in furrows and cover with a bit of soil. After all, that is how seeds are planted right? Well, that method has failed so many times for me, I'm not going to bother.

I am trying however, a method I've read about. The seeds were placed directly onto moist soil in rows and covered with plywood. According to the infinite wisdom of the internet, this will retain heat and moisture and make an optimal environment for sprouting.

I'm really hoping this method works well, as it was quite easy.
As if sowing seeds needed a picture

Nothing says "classy" like a hunk of plywood sitting in your garden


Soaked in a Jar:
Just like back in elementary school with beans, I soaked some seed overnight, drained and am letting them sit in the humid environment of the jar. Once the seeds sprout, they will get dropped onto moistened soil.

If the sprouted seeds don't stick together and can be used in my little seed planter device, this method should be pretty simple as well. If the sprouts stick together however, this could be quite a pain.
Seeds. In jar. With water.

Soil Blocks:
The third method is sprouting in micro soil blocks, and planting outside once the plants get going a bit.
This is certainly the most labor intensive, the blocks must be made, trenches dug, plants transplanted and backfilled. But if it works, it may well be worth it.
Cubirific!

Here we go, experiment time! Check back for updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment