Thursday, April 17, 2014

Carrot Update 2: Where have all my seeds gone?

Time for a second update in the carrot germination experiment.
Checking carefully under the plywood cover out in the garden, I finally found a single confirmed sprouted seed. It was rather difficult however, seeing as very few seeds are still visible on the ground...

That is right, the majority of my seeds have vanished. Poof, gone! A few of the remaining seeds have visible damage, so I have my suspicions. One thing is for sure, the warm, moist, protected environment under the plywood has certainly created a miniature ecosystem teeming with life. Pill bugs, ants, centipedes, springtails and baby slugs cover the soil.

And here I thought I could deal with germination first, and pests after, but it seems they might be the same issue. Time to set out some slug traps!
The culprits?

No comments:

Post a Comment